I really, really wish I remembered who gave me this seat cover. I’m actually embarrassed.
I remember that the person sent it to me because I complimented his re-covering. He explained that he created his own from measurements and the original pieces, with a pull-string stitched into the outer edge to use to pull it taught and for something for the built-in clips to grab onto. I marveled at the craftsmanship, and asked if he could send me the plans or a template or anything.
This was many, many years ago, and probably on Ivar’s original KZ400 forum. The cover he sent sat on a shelf in my basement for all these years until I could finally stand it no more to look at my torn cover. I intend to try and figure out who sent this t me and send him a beer. Virtually…
Anyway, here’s what I did…
- Bought a reasonably good seat pan from Ebay. The most important things were rust-free, and with the original bottom strip intact. More on that in a bit.
- Gently pried open the tangs/teeth that hold the cover in-place, just enough to get the trim piece off the seat pan.
- With a strong box knife, patiently & carefully cut the trim piece from the seat cover.
- Important: At this point, you put the old trim piece back on the raw seat, because without it, the sharp edge would surely slice through the cover.
- Then, fit the new cover on, pulling the draw string taught as reasonable.
- Pry the clips back into position, and hold the string tension and the lip in place.
At this point, I haven’t used any adhesive, but it’s late in the year, and when it gets to be riding season again I suspect I will do something to better clip the drawstring, and also probably spray some adhesive in the cover/pan edge to keep it wrapped under.
But it looks great, and again I’m so thankful. I need to see if I can find out the person, so I can maybe get another one for my other 750…
Do you have a link to the eBay dealer of the seat cover ?
@ Max –
I’m sure this won’t help you much, but I went through my email inbox, and found it. It was a seller named HondaBikeRescue, back in January of 2015. And while I paid $35 for mine back then, I just checked and that seller is still there… with one cover left… and it’s $140! 😉 Ah well, but I see there are a few others on eBay right now too, so you might get lucky with them… Good luck!